Statewide Prescription "Drug Take Back Event" this Saturday |
Title (Max 100 Characters)
Hernando County, Florida-- The Hernando County Sheriff's Office is participating in the DEA statewide "Drug Take Back Event." The Drug Take Back Initiative will occur this Saturday, April 28, 2012, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, at the Target located at 3101 Aerial Way in Spring Hill.
The Drug Take Back Initiative provides residents in the State of Florida an opportunity to drop off any unwanted or unused prescription drugs at various locations throughout the state. Bringing any unwanted prescription medication to a designated site is one way to help keep our children and our environment safe.
Since 2008 overdose deaths have become Hernando County's leading killer, approximately 1 death per week in Hernando County:
- 2008 - 45 Overdose Deaths
- 2009 - 47 Overdose Deaths
- 2010 - 56 Overdose Deaths
- 2011- 41 (January to September*)
*There are still at least 5 Death Cases still waiting results from the Medical Examiners Office.
"Illegal possession of prescription medication has become a huge issue across our country" said Sheriff Al Nienhuis. "When prescription medication falls into the wrong hands, the consequences can be life changing and sometimes deadly. I strongly encourage anyone who has any unwanted prescription medication to participate in this worthy operation."
The Hernando County Utilities Department posted the following information on their website:
New to the Household Hazardous Waste Program is our "Unwanted Medication Disposal Program". Due to recent findings reported across the United States, it has been shown that improper disposal of unwanted medications, has adverse effects on the environment. Improper disposal methods include flushing them down the toilet, and placing them in the landfill. In light of these reports the Household Hazardous Waste Program has started an "Unwanted Medication" disposal program.
Residents must pour their own medication into a funnel, and take the empty medication bottles with them.
Residents are allowed to bring their unwanted medications to any of the three, following Solid Waste & Recycling locations:
- Northwest Solid Waste Facility- 14450 Landfill Rd Brooksville, FL 34614
- West Hernando Convenience Center- 2525 Osowaw Blvd Spring Hill, FL 34607
- East Hernando Convenience Center- 33070 Cortez Blvd Ridge Manor, FL 33523
Release courtesy of the Hernando County
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood