Visit Original Carrollwood Christmas Eve | Community Spirit
Carrollwood, Florida -- The residents of Original Carrollwood have a lovely tradition on Christmas Eve that lights up the night.
Residents put out luminaries to usher in Christmas.
The community website explains how the tradition began.
"The modern tradition is to set out the luminaries on Christmas Eve and light the candles just before it turns dark. Most people line their driveways and along the front of their lawn, setting the luminaries about 2 feet to 3 feet apart. If everyone in the neighborhood participates, every road, driveway and lawn will be illuminated on Christmas Eve.
It is said that this visual spectacle in Carrollwood can be seen by airplanes flying overhead as they approach the Tampa airport!"
Original Carrollwood is east of Dale Mabry Highway, bounded by Lake Carroll Way on the south and Lake Ellen Drive on the north.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood