Man gets death penalty for double-murder | Crime
BROOKSVILLE, Florida (AP) - A Tampa Bay area man has been sentenced to death for killing his sister and another woman.
A Hernando County judge followed a jury's recommendation Tuesday in sentencing 57-year-old John Kalisz. He was convicted in January of two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder and one count of armed burglary.
PHOTOS: Brooksville shooting scene
Authorities say Kalisz killed his sister, Kathryn Donovan, and her office manager, Deborah Tillotson, and wounded two others at a Brooksville home in January 2010. He killed Dixie County sheriff's Capt. Chad Reed in a shootout later the same day in Cross City.
Kalisz received a life sentence as part of a deal with prosecutors last year after pleading guilty to killing the deputy.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood