Woman arrested after toddler nearly drowns | Crime
SPRING HILL, Florida (AP) - A Tampa Bay area woman has been charged with child neglect after deputies say she called 911 and yelled for dispatchers to "send someone out here" before hanging up when they asked for more information about her emergency.
A Hernando County Sheriff's Office report issued Wednesday says 36-year-old Melinda Sue Vairo made no mention of a 1-year-old child being face-down in a backyard pool on Tuesday.
The Tampa Bay Times reports emergency crews revived the boy and took him to a hospital where he was in stable condition on Wednesday.
Deputies found nine empty bottles of beer and an empty bottle of rum at the home. The report didn't explain the woman's relationship to the boy.
Vairo was charged with two counts of child neglect.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood
- Hunter claims panther attacked him
- Fort Hood shooting victim's body to return to Florida