Man defrauds over $14,000 in chandeliers in 4 counties | Crime
Land O' Lakes, Florida -- Pasco County Sheriff's detectives have arrested a man they say was responsible for defrauding multiple Home Depots stores in four counties.
Detectives say Nicholas Anderson, of Land O' Lakes, went to Home Depot stores over 61 times in Pasco, Hernando, Hillsborough and Pinellas counties and stole chandeliers through ticket-switching.
Anderson, 32, would replace the UPC on the chandelier with the UPC of a cheaper one and then return the stolen chandelier for store credit to pawn for cash. Detectives say the scam lasted from Sept. 1 through Nov. 23, 2011 and resulted in a total loss of over $14,000.
Anderson's family told police he did it to support his severe pill addiction.
He has been arrested on Grand Theft charges and is currently being held on $30,000 bond.
To see Anderson in action at a self-checkout line at one Home Depot store, click on the video above.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood