165 plants seized, two arrested in grow house bust | Crime
Weeki Wachee, Florida -- On Feb. 1, two people were arrested after Hernando County detectives found a large marijuana grow house operation in their home in the River Country subdivision.
Authorities say most of the home had been converted into three large rooms where the marijuana was grown and large holes were dug into the foundation of the house to be used as reservoirs for the hydroponics system.
In all, a total of 165 plants, between 4-6 feet in height were found inside, along with 88.5 pounds of harvested plant material. The total weight of the plants and harvested material weighed in at 357 pounds.
Detectives say electricity was also being diverted prior to the meter and was being used to power the entire grow operation. Over $300 in electricity was reportedly stolen.
Both, 44-year-old Arturo Jorge and 45-year-old Mayra Cabrera were arrested and charged with trafficking in marijuana, cultivation of marijuana, possession of a structure for cultivation, grand theft, tampering with meter, and possession of drug paraphernalia. They are each being held on over $42,000 bond.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood