Students to hear first-hand account of drunk driving tragedy | Events
Highlands County, FL -- Feb. 22 - 24, two people, Renee Napier and Eric Smallridge, will speak to Highlands County students about the repercussions of drunk driving.
Renee Napier is the mother of Meagan Napier who, along with her friend Lisa Jo Dixon, died in a crash with a drunk driver on May 11, 2002. Both girls were 20 years old at the time of the crash. Eric Smallridge was the drunk driver involved and he is currently serving a 22-year sentence in Florida State Prison for this incident.
In 2004, the families of both girls formed the Meagan Napier Foundation, “…to raise awareness of the dangers of driving under the influence of alcohol and to promote forgiveness and healing…”,according to their website www.themeagannapierfoundation.com.
Renee and Eric speak together to young adults about the dangers and emotional impacts of drunk driving. Because Eric is still serving his sentence he will be picked up from prison by Highlands County Detention Deputies and will remain in custody at the Highlands County Jail between presentations.
The presentation schedule is as follows:
Wednesday, Feb. 22 Lake Placid High 8:30 and 9:30 a.m.
Thursday, Feb. 23 Sebring High 9:00, 10:15 and 11:45 a.m.
Friday, Feb. 24 Avon Park High 8:45 and 10:00 a.m.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood