Local school to test drive Walking School Bus program | Events
Spring Hill, FL -- On Thursday, Oct. 20, Explorer K-8 parents and students will take part in the Walking School Bus program. This is the first school in the county to experiment with this cooperative effort that has gained recognition recently as part of First Lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move Campaign.
According to a release from the school, the program can be as simple as two families taking turns walking their children to school, or as structured as a planned route with meeting points.
These walking and bicycling programs are also gaining support from community groups because of the economic and environmental impact they have on reducing fuel emissions and eliminating traffic congestion at drop-off and pick-up locations.
For more information on the Safe Routes to School program or Walking School Buses, visit www.saferoutesinfo.org.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood