Mother manatee found dead on Bayshore Blvd. | News
Tampa, Florida-- From South Tampa to North Tampa, there has been mayhem and misery, but nothing more heartbreaking than what was discovered floating Bayshore.
A mother manatee, dead, but her calves will not leave her side, endangering their lives too.
They are trapped inside the inlet between Tampa General Hospital and the seawall on Bayshore Boulevard, now underwater and closed.
Wildlife officials assessed the situation and decided to tie the mother manatee to a small dock to keep her from floating out with the tide.
Officials say if the mother floats back out into the bay the calves will follow and surely drown.
They will retrieve the pups in the morning because rescuing them in the dark in violent water is dangerous.
In North Tampa, a serious situation as dozens of residents are forced from their homes.
Water flooding the entire housing project of 15 North Apartments.
Teresa's convenience store is closed as well, and water as deep as four feet keeps residents out.
Many vehicles are submerged.
Even houses of worship are not immune. For churchgoers, it's a desperate attempt to save what's left.
Dozens of people are filling sandbags and stacking them half way up the door, but the damage is already done.
Localized flooding crippled parts of Davis Islands and Westshore as well.
Many areas are socked in with deep water in the roadways that have stranded entire neighborhoods.
More Tropical Storm Debby Coverage:
- Tropical Storm Debby latest forecast
- Photos: Heavy wind, rain cause damage in Tampa Bay
- More photos: Tropical Storm Debby
- More photos: Tropical Storm Debby damage continues
- Photos: Tornadoes spawned by Tropical Storm Debby
- Viewer-submitted storm videos
- Tornado touches down in Pass-a-Grille
- Debby downs trees, roof
- One killed, 10 homes damaged in Lake Placid
- Tree collapses in mobile home park
- Sunshine Skyway Bridge closed
- Wicked waves pound Clearwater Beach
- Wind and rain pummel Pasco County
- Drivers stranded by flooding
- Weather Update: Clearwater Beach
- Humane Society deals with effects of Tropical Storm Debby
- School closures around the area
- Sand bags available for Clearwater residents
- DOH: Alert for private well owners in flooded areas
- Pasco County urges residents to stay out of the water
- Summer schools, programs to resume normal scheduling
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood