At least 10 downtown banks close during RNC | News
Tampa, Florida -- At least 10 downtown Tampa banks will close during the Republican National Convention.
Financial institutions that have announced their downtown branches will be closed during the week of Aug. 27 include: Regions Bank, Florida Capital Bank, Sun Trust, BB&T, Florida Bank, C1 Bank, Fifth Third Bank, Wells Fargo, Florida West Coast Credit Union and US AmeriBank.
On Friday, Bank of America says it will announce whether its downtown bank will stay open during the convention.
Officials with M&I say they may close, but as of now will take it day-by-day.
Northern Trust, located at 425 N. Florida Avenue, says it will stay open during the convention.
Financial institutions are frequently targeted by anarchists and officials expect 15,000 protesters to be in town for the GOP Convention.
But while most of Tampa's downtown financial institutions will be closed during the historic event, a survey by the Downtown Tampa Partnership finds about 140 downtown businesses will stay open with some even extending hours of operation.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood