Security officer killed at Tampa apartment complex | News
Tampa, Florida -- Tampa Police were called to the Grande Oaks Apartment complex at E 26th and Hanna Street after receiving reports of shots fired Wednesday evening.
When police arrived, they found 38-year-old Michael Valentin, a private duty security officer, dead on the sidewalk in front of the clubhouse.
Police immediately blocked off the area, began the search for the suspect, and commenced the forensics investigation.
Investigators detained several people for questioning but no one has been arrested.
Valentin's employer, Critical Intervention Services, says he previously worked with the New York City Homeless Services Police for nearly 10 years, before moving from Brooklyn to Florida.
In a press release, CIS says Valentin was specifically chosen for his assignment "owing to his community-oriented mindset and experience while working with the homeless in New York. His peers and supervisors described him as being friendly, community-focused, and dedicated father and husband."
Valentin leaves behind a wife and two sons, ages 4 and 9.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood