Baby hippo at Lowry Park Zoo gets a name | News
Tampa, Florida -- A one-month-old pigmy hippopotamus got her Christmas gift early when staff at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo gave the calf her name.
After an online naming contest launched back in November with the three names "Zawadi", "Zola" and "Zuri" up on the chopping block, the Zoo revealed the winning name today was "Zola".
Photo Gallery: Baby hippo at Lowry Park Zoo gets a name
The African name meaning "to love" beat out the others with more than 3,100 unique votes cast.
Zola was born on Nov. 15 to second time mother "Zsa Zsa" and is only the second hippo born in the Zoo's history. Pigmy hippos are classified as an endangered species.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood