Red-light runner kills woman in Spring Hill | News
Spring Hill, Florida -- Friends and family of a beloved senior will mourn her loss this Christmas after a driver plowed through a red light and struck the woman's car, killing her Sunday.
Cecilia Diaz, 75, was pronounced dead on the scene Sunday afternoon around 2 p.m. after Greg Sanchez, 26, drove his 2004 Ford Ranger into her 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer. According to troopers, Sanchez ran a red light on Mariner Blvd., striking Diaz' vehicle, which was turning onto Mariner from Landover Boulevard.
According to neighbors, Diaz has spent the last decade living near that intersection, and was just leaving her daughter's home Sunday a few blocks away.
Sanchez is also from Spring Hill, but a man that looked like him standing in his driveway refused to comment Monday.
Florida Highway Patrol troopers say charges for Sanchez are pending as they await toxicology and other investigative reports.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood