Christmas Trees, how to dispose of these? | News
Hillsborough Co., FL-- Now that the holiday season is almost completely over, the county would like to remind those of you who bought fresh trees this year of the various ways you may dispose of them.
The options are as follows:
• Curbside Pickup
Curbside pickup of live Christmas trees is available to County solid waste customers by following these steps:
- Remove all decorations, lights and tinsel
- Cut the tree into sections no larger than 4 feet long and 6 inches in diameter
- Place curbside on your next yard waste collection day
• Yard Waste Processing Facilities
Hillsborough County solid waste customers can skip the post-holiday blues of seeing their once-live Christmas tree sitting by the curb – and spare the hassle and work of cutting the trees into smaller pieces for pickup - by taking trees directly to a Yard Waste Processing Facility.
The sites are open Monday through Saturday (with the exception of holidays, such as Christmas Day and New Year’s Day) from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Falkenburg Road/Resource Recovery Facility: 350 Falkenburg Road, Brandon. Phone: 813-744-5599
- South County: 13001 U.S. Highway 41, Gibsonton. Phone: 813-671-7611
- Northwest: 8001 W. Linebaugh Ave., Tampa. Phone: 813-264-3816
Customers should bring their current tax bill and proper identification to access the Yard Waste Processing Facilities, and be able to unload the trees themselves. Customers should also remove all decorations, lights and tinsel. Artificial trees are not accepted at the yard waste sites.
Non-County residential solid waste customers can dispose of yard waste by paying a tonnage fee.
For more information about Hillsborough County solid waste collection and disposal services, visit www.hillsboroughcounty.org/solidwaste, or call 813-272-5680.
Another idea is to chop or grind live Christmas trees and use as mulch around trees, shrubs and flower beds.
For more information regarding recycling live Christmas trees, contact:
Lynn Barber, Florida-Friendly LandscapingTM Agent, Hillsborough County and UF-IFAS Extension, barberL@hillsboroughcounty.org, 813-744-5519 ext. 54105.