Gov. Scott pushes for teacher pay raise in Tampa | News
Tampa, Florida -- The day after announcing a proposal to give Florida teachers a $2,500 pay raise, Governor Rick Scott was Twin Lakes Elementary School in Tampa to give it another push.
He pointed out how the economy is looking better with the lowest unemployment in four years. Both he and Hillsborough County Schools Superintendent MaryEllen Elia say teachers deserve a raise.
"Florida teachers are the heart of success of Florida students," Scott said.
Elia told the crowd she is happy to be hearing about a proposed pay raise instead of pay cuts.
The governor will recommend the pay raise in his budget, but it still has to pass the state legislature and be implemented at the local level.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood