Teen says he snatched woman's purse to buy candy | News
SPRING HILL, Florida - According to the Hernando County Sheriff's Office, a woman was walking on Spring Hill Drive in front of the entrance to a Save-A-Lot when someone tried to snatch her purse.
The woman had just withdrawn some cash from a nearby ATM. She says she was walking when she felt someone grab and pull on her purse. She says she tried to pull it back, but a 15-year-old boy was pulling it with so much force it knocked her down and snapped her purse strap.
The woman is going to be okay. She does have a small scrape on her right knee.
Four people in the area say they saw the boy running from the scene with the victim's purse. Two of them chased the suspect down and held him until law enforcement could arrive.
Detectives say the child told them, "Yes, I did it, it was stupid of me. I snatched the purse and I am sorry."
Investigators also say he admitted to taking the victim's purse so he could buy candy.
The child was taken into custody and transported to the Hernando County Jail. The Department of Juvenile Justice was then contacted, and they said he will be released to his parents and held on house arrest.
Follow 10 News Anchor Tammie Fields on twitter @tammiefields
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood