6-day panhandling ban passed in Tampa | News
Tampa, Florida -- It looks like the Tampa City Council has finally figured out what to do about what some say is one of the area's biggest problems.
On Thursday morning, the council passed a six-day panhandling ban in a 6-1 vote. The only day it would be allowed is Sunday.
That's the only day charity drives would be allowed as well. Newspaper vendors would be allowed to work the medians every day.
The vote was delayed, because councilman Charlie Miranda -- who's recovering from surgery -- requested to vote by phone. That request was denied, so he decided to show up to vote in person.
A final reading on the measure will take place on October 20.
Upcoming Events near Highlands County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood
- Hunter claims panther attacked him
- Fort Hood shooting victim's body to return to Florida